If learners are required to complete a course within a certain time frame, you can set this when creating or editing the course:
- On the SETTINGS tab, scroll down to Group access settings.
- Indicate the number of days or weeks each learner has to complete the course using the 'Time limit' field:
- In Course time limit settings, indicate what happens when a learner does not complete the course within the required time frame.
- Click Save Changes.
Course time limits begin at midnight following a learner's enrollment into the course. Learners receive reminder emails prompting them to complete their course before the time limit is up. For more information, see 'Course time limit email notifications'.
Course time limit settings
When a course time limit is set, you can configure what happens when learners do not complete the course in the specified time frame. The options are:
- Notify learner - Sends email notifications to learners prompting them to complete the course. When selected, you can specify if the notifications are sent once, every three days or weekly after the time limit is up.
- Lock enrolment - Restricts learners from the course until an administrator unlocks their enrolment. Administrators can unlock enrolments from the Course Insight or Enrolment Insight pages.
- Fail learner - Automatically fails learners.
In addition to these outcomes, you can select users to be notified each time a learner does not complete the course within the set time frame. Users who are eligible to be notified must have the 'Perform approvals' permission as part of their learning space access level. For more information, see 'Understanding access levels in Clui'.
Course time limit conditions
If a time limit is set for all learning space users and a different time limit is set for members of certain groups, the group level time limits override the learning space level time limit.
For learners who are in multiple groups with conflicting time limits, the earliest completion date applies.
Exempting learners from course time limits
If you want to set a time limit for all learners in your learning space except a selection of learners, create a group containing the applicable learners, add the group as a group with specific permissions and leave the time limit field blank.
The time limit you set for all users in your learning space will not apply to members of the group.
Course time limit email notifications
When course time limits apply, learners are notified of the amount of time they have to complete the course in their assignment email notification (if the option to send a link to the learner is selected). For more information about enrolling users in courses, see 'Assigning courses to learners'.
Learners who are yet to complete a course with a time limit also receive email notifications:
- 60 days before, 30 days before, 14 days before, and 7 days before their time limit is up according to the total duration of the time limit. For example, a learner with 30-day time limit would be notified 14 days before and then 7 days before their time limit is up.
- 48 hours and again 24 hours before the time limit is up.
- When the time limit is reached.
If 'Notify learner' is the selected action in the Course time limit settings, learners are notified according to the selected notification frequency (once, every three days, or weekly).